Macromedia has developed a version of its popular Shockwave plugin called Flash Player. Many websites embed Shockwave on their first page. This plugin is easy to install and works well with Netscape 4.0 and higher. In addition, the glibc version of Netscape must be used. It can be installed as a personal Netscape plugin or a global Netscape plugin.
- Download the setup file from Macromedia or from the Shockwave Download Center.
- tar -xvzf flash_linux.tar.gz
- cd Linux.
- Copy ShockwaveFlash.class and libflashplayer.so to the /usr/lib/netscape/plugins directory or whatever your global Netscape plugin directory is located. You may also copy these two files to your personal Netscape plugins directory located at ~/.netscape/plugins/. However, if you choose the latter method, you must do so for each user on the machine.
- Restart Netscape for the plugin to take effect.
- Test the plugin installation by typing about:plugins in the Location window of Netscape (where you type the URL). You should now see Shockwave Flash and FutureSplash Player listed as a plugins from your personal plugins directory.